I'm often asked what sorts of projects would be 'good for resale' and here are a few that can help. While you rarely will recoup 100% of your investment, these have better than average returns. Here are five of the best cost vs. value upgrades to consider if you’re thinking of remodeling your home, according to Remodeling Magazine. If you have specific ideas you're wondering about, contact me directly!
1. Steel entry door: A new steel door will not only improve your home’s curb appeal, but will also improve energy efficiency.
2. Attic conversion: Converting your attic into a bedroom or recreational room can dramatically expand the living space available in your home, yet you don’t have to alter the floorplan of your home at all.
3. Fiber-cement siding: When you replace your current siding with fiber-cement, you improve your home’s resistance to moisture, pests, rot, and fire. It’s also extremely durable, so in the long haul you want spend as much on maintenance or repainting.
4. Energy-efficient windows: This one is particularly valuable for older homes. Upgrading to energy-efficient windows can lead to remarkable savings in monthly energy costs.
5. Kitchen remodel: New appliances, new cabinets, new backsplash … it all adds up to one of the highest returns on investment according to Cost vs. Value reports.